1994 Ph.D. University of Texas at Astin, USA Computer Science
· Dissertation: “A Unified Approach to Concurrent Debugging”
1989 M.S. University of Texas at Austin, USA
· Proposed & implemented a model for unifying different concurrent debugging tools
· Report: “VHDL; the VHSIC Hardware Description Language”
1987 M.B.A Institute of Business Administration
Report: “Performance Evaluation of Retired Forces Personnel in Public Sector Organizations”
1985 B.E. NED Univ. of Engg. & Tech.
Apr 13 – Present, Dean CBM and CES, IoBM (Institute of Business Administration), Karachi
Mar 09 – Present Director Ahsan Memorial
Feb 01 – Mar 13 Professor, Vice President and Dean PAF-KIET, Karachi
- Led the growth of Colleges of Management Sciences, College of Engineering and College of Computing and Information Sciences and College of Media Arts
- Strategic initiatives in social advocacy, entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship and PBL approach to education.
- Launch of BCA, BS (Accounting and Finance), BBA-ERP, MBA (Islamic Finance), MBA (Education Leadership), MS/MPhil and PhD research programs
- Developed supervision framework for Thesis and Research students
- Design of business systems (registration, academics and corporate liaison) of KIET
- Re-engineering of academic monitoring, management, control, evaluation systems
- Development of programs for faculty development, R&D projects monitoring
- Developed 4-year BS (CS), BBA programs. Redesign of MCS and MBA programs.
- Developed Masters of CS and management sciences and PhD program.
- Developed BE (Electronics) and BE (Telecommunications) programs
- Developed degree programs: MBA (Accounting & Finance) and MBA (MIS)
- Launched Bachelor/Masters of Business Economics
Jul 00 – Jul 06 Chairman, Director and Architect ePatterns Software Solutions
- Launched the company with other partners
- Analyzed, designed and architect of “Business Patterns” ERP software product consisting of integrated GL, Inventory, Sales, Purchase, production, payroll, imports, exports system.
- Consultancy for ITCN 2001, ITCN 2002 and ITCN 2003
- Implemented solutions for over 30 companies in trading and manufacturing sector.
Jul 95 – Dec 00 Deputy Director/Assistant Professor Center for Computer Studies, IBA
- Developed resources in business applications, IS management and E-Commerce
- Supervised several business projects in systems analysis, design, implementation & BPR
- Conducted several short courses and seminars on software exports, Internet, Intranets, ISO-9000
- Developed and implemented the restructuring strategy for CCS.
- Increased the CCS students’ enrollment 6 times, faculty strength 3 times, and revenues by 10 times.
- Established 7 computer labs with over 200 PCs at two IBA campuses
- Initiated major development of IT infrastructure consisting of ISP for faculty and students, IBA computerization, and CCS facilities.
- Redesigned and restructured MBA (MIS) program according to the job market requirements.
- Developed and launched the new BCS program, the first non-MBA program of IBA.
- Developed BCS, BBA(MIS) and MBA(MIS) curriculum in collaboration with industry experts.
- Developed new courses in change management, business process reengineering, decision support systems, expert systems, strategic information systems, electronic commerce, software project management, object oriented analysis, visual programming, IS Audit, Info System Management etc.
- Developed and launched the new BBA (MIS) program which has since been replicated elsewhere.
- Initiated and conducted industry research and consulting projects for CBR, AGPR, EPB.
Jul 95- Nov 97 IT Consultant & Project Director Oxford University Press, Karachi
- Managed the transition to a new client-server sales, inventory, and GL system based on RDBMS
- Redesigned and Reengineered the accounting, procurement, sales, and inventory processes
- Directed the implementation, documentation, training, extension of the new system
Jan 95-Jun 95 Adjunct Faculty FAST Institute of Computer Science
- Taught courses in Compilers and Parallel Computing
Nov 89-Dec 94 Research Assistant University of Texas at Austin, USA
- Member of project team developing CODE; a graphical/visual parallel programming environment
- Instrumented CODE 2.0 compiler for performance/debugging measurements
- Designed and implemented a machine independent interactive concurrent debugger
May 87-Aug 91 Research Scholar at UT Austin Ministry of Science & Technology
May 87-Aug 87 Assistant Engineer SUPARCO
1985-86 Programmer at ABM Data Systems and Internship at IBM, Karachi.
A Sampling of Diversified Range of Projects: ·
Led E-commerce Action Plan & National IT Policy as Head E-Commerce Working Group · Innovation Launch of several new academic programs with differentiation and strategic features · Intrapreneurship Enabling an academic intrapreneurship framework for decentralization at KIET · Entrepreneurship Launched a software house (ePatterns), school (L2L Academy), an NGO (AEF) · Project Management Quality control, simultaneous management of scores of R&D, consultancy projects · Change Management Transition to computerization, faculty research culture, students’ projects culture, etc. · Consultancy For CBR, EPB, POF, Pak Steel, MoST, etc. ERP implementations for 30+ cos. · Business/Management Business Process Reengineering for KIET, PS, POF, OUP and strategic initiatives at IBA · MIS Systems Implementation & management of HR, SCM, MRP, WIP, payroll, CRM, GL systems · Business Research E-Commerce research for EPB, Cases on Technology Entrepreneurs, quality systems · ERP Development Design, development, evolution of ERP solutions for manufacturing, trading sector · CS Research Publication of over 20 research papers in software engineering, data warehousing etc. · Engineering MANET Evaluation and Security, QoS in UMTS, Bluetooth Tunneling, Video streaming · Training Workshops For CBR, AGPR, HBL, SmartCommerce, POF, Pakistan Steel, Faculty, Students · Motivational Trainings For corporate sector participants from Timelenders platform
· S & T Scholarship for MS & PhD, 1987
· Bronze medal in BE (Elect.) ,1985
· Third position in MBA, IBA, 1987
· Silver medal in HSC (Federal Board), 1979
to work on a large number of projects simultaneously
to generate innovative and out-of-the-box solutions
organizations and departments to new paradigms/processes
Team Building Developing
strategic project teams of dedicated and committed professionals
employees and overcoming change resistance
to identify the weaknesses and reengineer processes
to construct abstract level graphical and mathematical representations
invited to speak at IT and management conferences, seminars
Interpersonal Ability to build a consensus by
reconciling several point of views
Writing Preparing convincing proposals, feasibility
studies, policies, procedures
to identify relationships among disparate pieces of information